This Crock Pot Chicken Cacciatore is the perfect slow cooker recipe for two or can be doubled to feed a larger family. This is a classic dish that everyone loves-delicious chicken with bell peppers, tomatoes and mushrooms.
Note: We use referral links to products we love.
Many readers have been asking us for quite some time to share recipes with less portions. So I have been on the lookout for recipes that are easy to make for two and then double or triple for larger families. This recipe for Crock Pot Chicken Cacciatore is an altered version of a recipe from a cookbook called The Complete Slow Cooking for Two. You might recall that we mentioned this cookbook in our slow cooker cookbook buyer’s guide.
Crock Pot Chicken Cacciatore
- We used our new manual 4 quart round slow cooker that replaced Dot (may she R.I.P.). The Crock Posse helped us name this new crock pot Rick during episode 11 of our weekly chat.
- Chicken skin does not crisp up in the slow cooker. If you don’t like the texture of slow cooked chicken skin, you can either remove it before cooking, after cooking or place your chicken on a cookie sheet and briefly broil your chicken to crisp up the skin after slow cooking.
- You can also use 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs or 2 chicken breasts instead of the quarters, however, cooking times will vary.
- This dish would be nice over pasta.
Crock Pot Recipe for Two
- Two Chicken Quarters (leg and thigh)- optional: with skin removed
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 1 onion- chopped
- 1 bell pepper (we used red bell pepper)- sliced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (we used cremini or baby bella)
- 3 cloves garlic minced (we used freeze dried garlic instead)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste (we used the basil, oregano and garlic flavored)
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes- undrained (we used the basil, oregano and garlic flavored)
- 8 oz can tomato sauce (we used the basil, oregano and garlic flavored)
- In a 4 quart slow cooker (we used this one) combine onion, mushrooms and bell pepper.
- Combine oregano, basil, salt and pepper and sprinkle chicken with mixture.
- Place seasoned chicken on top of onion, mushrooms and peppers.
- Mix tomato paste, sauce and tomatoes and then pour on top of chicken.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.