Do you love mashed potatoes, but hate standing over the stove, watching and waiting while they boil? Now you can fix up these yummy Crock Pot No Boil Mashed Potatoes and let your crock pot do all the work!
Note: We use referral links for the products we love
Aunt Lou here.
I love making mashed potatoes in my crock pot….but I hate boiling them beforehand. As you know, I am the slowest recipe prepper. I try, I really do, but for some reason, it always seems to take me longer to get everything ready for a recipe than it would the average person. Honestly, this is a sore spot for me. I love being efficient. It makes me happy. The flip side is that it is frustrating to me when I don’t feel efficient. So when Jackie S., one of our readers, shared with us this great post from Spend with Pennies where Holly makes mashed potatoes in her crock pot without boiling them first, I couldn’t wait to try that technique with our Creamy Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes!
Crock Pot No Boil Mashed Potatoes Notes:
- As with regular boiling of potatoes, the smaller you cut them the faster they will cook up. So if you need the longer cook time, cut your potatoes up into bigger cubes. Do you only have a couple hours? Cut your potatoes into smaller, thinner cubes. Just make sure you adjust your cooking time accordingly.
- Make sure you watch this closely the first time you make it in your crock pot. I know we say this all the time, but we really can’t stress this enough. A good recipe can go really wrong if it is under or overcooked. Each crock pot cooks so differently, and, as I said above, the size of the cubes you cut your potatoes can greatly affect your cooking time.
- I used good ol’ Cera for this recipe. Cera is my 6 Quart Crock Pot with Ceramic Coated Pot. I love the easy cleanup, and 6-quarts was perfect size for 5 lbs of potatoes. So you can use your favorite 5-6 quart slow cooker.
- This recipe makes a ton of mashed potatoes…and they are yuuuuummmy, so this would be perfect for a pitch-in (what us Southern Hoosiers call potlucks) or cut it in half if you don’t need so many. However, if you cut it in half, use a smaller crock pot and watch your time!
Serves: 10-12 servings
- 5 lbs redskin potatoes
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 oz pkg cream cheese
- ½ to ¾ cup butter, softened and sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel (if desired) and cube up your potatoes and place them in your crock pot
- Pour chicken broth over all your potatoes
- Cover and cook on high for 2-4 hours or low for 4-8 hours, they are ready to be mashed when they are fork tender
- Mash potatoes with your minced garlic, sour cream, cream cheese, butter, salt and pepper
- Return to crock pot to keep warm until serving