This Cheesy Stuffed Sloppy Joe Meatballs Recipe is one of my daughter’s favorite recipes of all time. They are a delicious take on sloppy joes that kids of all ages love!
Cris here. I have always loved sloppy joes and specifically Manwich. No this is NOT a sponsored post… this is a love note to my childhood… ;).
Seriously though, my kiddo LOVES sloppy joes about as much as I do. So when we were planning out the meal plan the other week and she wanted sloppy joes I got to thinking about all the meatball recipes I have been testing lately (more on that coming soon!) and these Slow Cooker Cheesy Stuffed Sloppy Joe Meatballs were on their way to being created (and added to the menu 😉 ).
Now let’s get controversial… Velveeta (also NOT a sponsor of this post and also an homage to my childhood) is my recommended cheese of choice for these Slow Cooker Cheesy Stuffed Sloppy Joe Meatballs. I know, I know… you either LOVE Velveeta or hate it. I tested this recipe with mozzarella, cheddar cheese and Velveeta and by far the Velveeta meatballs were our favorite. the cheddar and mozzarella meatballs turned out too rubbery for us. But the Velveeta turned out perfectly. If you are a die hard cheddar anti-Velveeta person, I would recommend just making the meatballs and topping with cheese after cooking instead of stuffing them…
Note: We use referral links to products we love.
Slow Cooker Cheesy Stuffed Sloppy Joe Meatballs Notes
- Don’t let homemade meatballs intimidate you. I seriously have been making them for the past two weeks testing various recipes and I keep thinking– man, this is A LOT easier than I tend to think it is every time I make them!
- When forming your meatballs, make sure to seal the meat around the cheese cubes completely. Some cheese will deliciously ooze out during cooking but plenty should stay inside too. Fear not, just remember when scooping them out to put on your sandwich to just make sure to get the melty goodness scooped up too.
- I highly recommend using a 6 quart slow cooker(I used our Ninja) to get as many of your meatballs on a single layer as possible. If a few have to overlap, it isn’t a big deal, but single layer is best.
Cheesy Stuffed Sloppy Joe Meatballs
- Pour 1 can of sauce into a 6 quart slow cooker. We usedthis one
- Then in a separate bowl mix together your ground chuck, bread crumbs, Italian Seasoning, salt/pepper, Parmesan, onion and garlic until blended well.
- Form meatballs around each of the cheese cubes, making sure to completely seal the cheese inside.
- Place meatballs in sauce and then pour second can over the top of the meatballs.
- Cook on high for 2 hours or until meatballs are cooked through (to at least 160 degrees).
- Serve on hot dog buns.