Our Meaty Crock Pot Cowboy Casserole is a hearty slow cooker recipe that is sure to please the entire crew. Layers of beef, sausage. taters, beans and cheese make this one can’t miss meal!
Note: We use referral links to products we love.
How to Make Cowboy Casserole in a Slow Cooker
Cris here. I am back with another favorite recipe from our kitchen. This hearty casserole is one that suits about everyone that tries it and that could be because it has just about everything you can imagine in it! Ha! But don’t worry, it is super easy to throw together and it is a dish that can cook all day as I found out the hard way.
Just be glad I am not making it FOR you if you are hungry! The other day I made this recipe in a different slow cooker than I usually do and it was not near ready until about 2 hours later than expected! The cowboys were getting restless by the time it was done!
A Few Notes:
- The timing on this recipe is a basic guideline (as with all our recipes). I have made this casserole in my crock pot at home in about 4 hours on high, but recently when we were on vacation, I was using a different slow cooker and let’s just say lunch was NOT done until dinner. I knew better. I had broken my own rule: Always, always, always test a recipe (when using different crock pot) when you have TIME to watch it and adjust the time accordingly.
- Since this recipe calls for a browning step, you might enjoy using a stove-top safe slow cooker (THIS one is my current favorite) or even an all-in-one unit for less clean up.
- We used Cream of Mushroom Soup with Roasted Garlic but you can use regular cream of mushroom if you want to and just add in some garlic.
- We used Ranch Style Beans, but you can use pork and beans or pinto beans if you can’t find them.
- This recipe filled up a 6 qt slow cooker. If you choose to use a smaller slow cooker you will want to divide the recipe.
- This recipe makes a bit of a mess, so if you like to use crock pot liners, you might use one here.
Crock Pot Cowboy Casserole
- 1 lb Ground Breakfast Sausage
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1.5 lbs Baby Gold or Red Potatoes sliced thin
- 15 oz Jar of Salsa
- 15 oz Can Northern Beans drained and rinsed
- 15 oz Can Ranch Style Beans
- 11 oz Can of Mexicorn
- 10.75 oz Can Cream of Mushroom with Garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Brown ground beef and sausage in a skillet or stove top crock (THIS one is my current favorite) and drain.
- Add remaining ingredients (except cheese) and mix well.
- Top with cheese.
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 8-10 OR until potatoes are tender.