Do you love French Onion Soup? Did you know it is super easy to make in your slow cooker? This Crock Pot French Onion Soup recipe will have you whipping up your favorite restaurant soup whenever you want for a fraction of the price!
Cris here. I LOVE me some Crock Pot French Onion Soup. So when a reader wrote me to ask for a crock pot French onion soup recipe I suddenly realized we didn’t have one on the site! Today we are remedying that!
Crock Pot French Onion Soup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 cups onion-sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup cooking sherry
- 6 thick slices of French bread
- additional butter - to taste
- garlic powder- to taste
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese - shredded
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a skillet and cook onions until soft.
- Then sprinkle with flour, sugar, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Pour into slow cooker (we used this one).
- Next, stir in your broth and sherry.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours.
- Then ladle your soup into 6 oven-safe soup bowls.
- Next, butter your bread slices and sprinkle lightly with garlic powder.
- Place the bread slices in each bowl and cover each liberally with cheese.
- Next broil until cheese is golden and carefully serve (bowls will be very hot).
Crock Pot French Onion Soup Recipe Notes
- This recipe calls for 3 cups of onions sliced. I had 3 medium to large onions and that easily made 3 cups. I loved using my food processor to slice the onions VERY quickly. Little known fact about me… I used to HATE food processors. THIS one totally made me change my tune. I love how easy it is to use.
- I crocked this up in my Cuisinart Multi-Cooker which has a browning setting that allowed me to sauté my onions in the until before switching it over to slow cook.
- If you don’t have a multi-cooker you can just cook your onions in a skillet and then transfer to any 4-6 quart slow cooker.
Her site Recipes That Crock is dedicated to helping everyone find delicious recipes to serve their families every month.