Creamy Mexican Style Crock Pot Cheesy Rice
This Creamy Mexican Style Crock Pot Cheesy Rice is going to kick your next taco Tuesday or family fiesta up a notch for sure! Everyone will be saying, “Olé”!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time6 hrs
Total Time6 hrs 5 mins
Servings: 6 people
- 15 oz can pinto beans , rinsed and drained
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles , with juices
- 2 cups Mexican blend shredded cheese (8 oz bag)
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked , long grain, long cooking rice
- 1 medium onion , diced
- 8 oz pkg cream cheese
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 15 oz can queso blanco , optional
Put everything in your 6-quart crock pot (I used Sir Hamilton, my Hamilton Beach Programmable Insulated Slow Cooker) except for your queso blanco and one cup of your shredded cheese, mix well
Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, stirring well occasionally
Just before serving, sprinkle your last cup of shredded cheese on top and drizzle with your queso blanco
- The first time you make this, watch it closely! This is rice in a slow cooker folks, timing can vary greatly from one crock pot to another...even ones that are the same brand and same size. If you don't watch it closely the first time you make it, you are likely to end up with crunchy or mushy rice...and nobody wants that.
- I know fix it and forget it recipes are awesome, but when you are dealing with rice, I don't recommend it. Giving your rice dishes a good stir every once in awhile when they are crockin' will protect you from any hot or cool spots your slow cooker might have.
- The last hour or so, check it frequently. Rice can go from perfection to mush in a half hour or less. So again, the first time you make it, you need to be able to keep an eye on it.
- As with any of our recipes, calorie counts and nutritional information varies greatly depending on which products you choose to use when cooking this dish.
- All slow cookers cook differently, so cooking times are always a basic guideline and should always be tested first in your own slow cooker and time adjusted as needed.