Crock Pot Chicken Wild Rice Soup is the perfect slow cooker recipe. Full of flavorful veggies, chicken and the perfect wild rice blend this classic soup recipe is great for lunch and hearty enough for family dinner.
Note: We use referral links in our posts to products we love.
Cris here. Mikey has been on me for a while to add a Crock Pot Chicken Wild Rice Soup to the site. It is one of his favorite soups and it just didn’t seem right for us not to have one. So when I saw a Turkey and Wild Rice Soup in America’s Test Kitchen’s Slow Cooker Revolution, I decided to tinker with it a bit and turn it into a yummy chicken version.
Crock Pot Chicken Wild Rice Soup Recipe Notes
- I used my new 5 in 1 Crock Pot (man do I love that thing!) so I could do the onion sauté step in the unit and have less dishes at the end of the day. However, any 6 qt slow cooker should work just fine.
- We used boneless skinless chicken thighs in this dish to enhance the recipe and because dark meat typically produces a juicier chicken in the crock pot. Generally speaking, chicken thighs will offer more flavor and a better texture to the soup. However, if you prefer white meat, I would recommend using chicken tenderloins but you could also use chicken breasts.
- America’s Test Kitchen’s Slow Cooker Revolution mentioned that using a wild rice blend rather than just wild rice produced a better result. We went with a blend that we loved here.
Crock Pot Chicken Wild Rice Soup
- 2 onions minced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 carrots peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch thick pieces
- 2 celery ribs sliced into 1/4 inch thick pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup long-grain and wild rice blend We LOVE this blendin this soup
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Place your onions, garlic, tomato paste, oil and thyme in a skillet and cook until your onions are tender
- Then pour your onion mixture into your crock pot.
- Next, add your broth, carrots, celery and bay leaves into your crock pot and then stir.
- Sprinkle your chicken with salt and pepper.
- Then, place your seasoned chicken in your crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 5 hours.
- Next, remove your chicken and shred with two forks or a mixer and return to soup.
- Then remove your bay leaves.
- Next, add your rice your rice to your slow cooker.
- Mix together your corn starch and water with a fork in a coffee cup and add to slow cooker.
- Lastly, cover and cook on high for 30-40 minutes (wait for your rice to be tender)
- The to serve, sprinkle your parsley, salt and pepper to taste and serve.
- Crock Pot Soup Recipes (3 Reader Favorites) - April 27, 2021
- Ninja Foodi Buttered Noodles (Electric Pressure Cooker) - April 22, 2021
- Crock Pot Spaghetti Casserole (Low Carb Options) - April 20, 2021