Are you looking for a super easy crock pot chili recipe? Our Crock Pot Hamburger Chili is so easy to throw together and everyone always asks for seconds!
Cris here. Fall is in full force in Indiana and with it comes chili time at my house. I have only made this recipe for our Crock Pot Hamburger Chili like eleventy billion times in the last several weeks ;). I’m sure Miss Add is beginning to be known as the “chili girl” at school as much as she has brought it for lunch! So naturally I thought I needed to share it here.
Crock Pot Hamburger Chili
A Few Notes:
- Yes, yes… this recipe is called Crock Pot HAMBURGER Chili not Crock Pot Ground Beef Chili. I do know that hamburgers are sandwiches and ground beef is the ingredient in this recipe. I named it this because growing up we would always call anything with ground beef “hamburger”. So, I figure if Hamburger Helper can do it, so can I.
- We use white chili beans in this recipe. If you can’t find them, you can either use regular chili beans or use northern or navy beans as a substitute and add a little extra chili powder to taste.
- My chili powder of choice is Penzey’s Chili Con Carne (psst… don’t pay that outrageous price on Amazon). It has amazing depth of flavor.
- I use Freeze Dried Garlic all the time instead of fresh. It is so convenient.
- I also used whole tomatoes in this recipe because that is the way my mom always made chili. I just use a wooden spoon to bust open the tomatoes before cooking.
- As controversial as it is, I am from Southern Indiana and in my family, we always have macaroni in our chili. These days, I always make my pasta separately and rinse it well so it doesn’t stick together. Then I sit it out on the table along with the cheese, sour cream and crackers for people to add the pasta if they want.
- I used my 6 qt Cuisinart Slow Cooker for this chili because I love that I can brown my ground beef in the unit. However, you can use any 6 qt slow cooker.
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 1 teaspoon Freeze Dried Garlic ( or 3 cloves Fresh Garlic minced.)
- 4 Cups Beef Broth
- 28 oz Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 56 oz Cans Whole Tomatoes (2-28 oz cans) with juices
- 30 oz Cans White Chili Beans or other bean of choice (2-15 oz cans) undrained, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tablespoons Chili Powder or to taste
- Cups Optional: 2 Dry Macaroni Cooked Drained and Rinsed
- Brown ground beef with onion and garlic.
- Add ground beef to slow cooker with remaining ingredients (except pasta) and mix well.
- Cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-6.
- Serve with cooked macaroni if desired.