Have you ever thought about making your own spaghetti sauce? This Crock Pot Spaghetti Sauce recipe is easy to throw together and it is freezer friendly so you can make it up ahead of time and have on hand when you need it!
My family loves sketti or spaghetti as most families call it. Now, truth be told we are oftentimes a Ragu jar spaghetti sauce kind of family, but occasionally I will make our sauce… but regardless I always add mushrooms and sausage to whichever kind I am using…
Crock Pot Spaghetti Sauce
That is why when I saw this Crock Pot Spaghetti Sauce from Gooseberry Patch’s 303 Simple & Satisfying Recipes I got to thinking what if I could make a delicious sauce with the sausage and mushrooms already in it and freeze it so that I could throw together dinner in 10 minutes on those super busy nights.
Now I substituted one large 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes for one small can of Red Gold Crushed Tomatoes and one small call of their Diced Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic and Oregano and it turned out beautifully. I also added my sausage and a large can of drained mushrooms. Cooked it all to a beautiful sauce and then put it in these awesome containers to freeze for when I need them.
This recipe made the equivalent of two jars of my regular spaghetti sauce and are ready and waiting to be thrown in the fridge the day before to thaw and then heated up and served over noodles in no time at all!
Which Slow Cooker to Use?
Since there is a browning step involved in this recipe, I love to use my one of my favorite stove-top safe slow cookers that let you take the crock straight from cooking on the stove and throw into you slow cooker and continue cooking. One dish to clean up (vs. the crock AND a skillet) and anyone who knows me, knows I am ALL for that! Also– love the non-stick surface of this slow cooker.
But now that I also have an automatic stirring slow cooker and I love the idea of the crock pot taking over the stirring duties for me when it comes to a nice sauce. Regardless of which pot you cRock, I’m sure it will turn out great!
- 28- oz can Red Gold crushed tomatoes or 1 15 oz Crushed Tomatoes and 1 15 oz Red Gold Diced Tomatoes with Basil, Oregano and Garlic
- 15- oz can Red Gold tomato sauce
- 12- oz can Red Gold tomato paste
- 1/2 c onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 T sugar
- 1 t dried basil
- 1 t dried oregano
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 lb pork sausage browned, drained
- 8 oz can mushrooms drained
- Serve with 2 16-oz pkgs spaghetti cooked (if using immediately)
- Place all your ingredients in your crock pot except for your spaghetti.
- Stir until well combined.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Serve over spaghetti noodles or divide into two gallon freezer bags and freeze flat or two freezer containers
Affiliate links were used in this post.