Are you looking for a new soup to switch up soup night? This Crock Pot Tex Mex Dumpling Soup has great flavors all topped with a yummy cornmeal dumpling!
Cris here. After all the holiday shuffle, I was ready for some good soup to warm us up and fill us up. So I cracked open one of my tried and true cookbooks– Gooseberry Patch’s Slow Cooker Recipes and quickly found this Crock Pot Tex Mex Dumpling Soup.
It caught my eye because it finishes off with a simple cornmeal dumpling and that intrigued me. I had never had cornmeal dumplings in soup before…
So I whipped it up and the family loved it. The dumplings added the flavor of a corn tortilla to the soup. It was very different than anything I had ever tried!
Crock Pot Tex Mex Dumpling Soup Notes
- The cornmeal dumplings are not sweet at all, so if you are a big sweet corn bread fan, you either need to add a little sugar or just expect the dumplings to taste more like corn tortillas than sweet corn bread.
- If dumplings aren’t your thing… what on earth are you doing on this dumpling recipe?!?! 😉 Just teasing! Just leave those suckers off of the top and you still have a very tasty soup!
- I made this soup in my favorite non-stick lightweight 6 qt Crock Pot, but you could cook it up in any 6 qt slow cooker.
Crock Pot Tex Mex Dumpling Soup
- 1 lb ground beef browned
- 15.5 oz can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 15.5 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 14.5 oz can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 10 oz pkg frozen corn
- 4 oz can chopped green chiles
- 1 cup carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced (I use freeze dried garlic instead)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg white beaten
- 2 Tablespoon milk
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- Put all of your soup ingredients (those ABOVE "Dumplings" in the ingredient list) together in your crock pot and give it a good stir
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Give your soup an good stir.
- Take your flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and pepper and mix together in a bowl, set aside
- In another bowl, mix together your egg white, milk and oil
- Stir your egg white mixture into your flour mixture with a fork until it is just combined
- Turn your crock pot up to high and drop in your dumpling batter one rounded teaspoonful at a time into your soup. It is okay if dumplings touch.
- Cover again and cook for a half hour with the lid on.
- Serve once dumplings are set.
Affiliate links were used in this post.
- Crock Pot Soup Recipes (3 Reader Favorites) - April 27, 2021
- Ninja Foodi Buttered Noodles (Electric Pressure Cooker) - April 22, 2021
- Crock Pot Spaghetti Casserole (Low Carb Options) - April 20, 2021