You won’t believe how super easy this Crock Pot Sausage Corn Chowder is to throw together! Warm and filling, this soup hits the spot!
Winter has hit Indiana and I was in the mood for some soup to warm up to so I pulled out Gooseberry Patch’s One Pot Meals for some inspiration. I found the perfect recipe that with a few tweaks I could make right from my pantry and Crock Pot Sausage Corn Chowder was born.
The snow and staying in cozy by the fire with a warm bowl of soup always makes me a little reflective, you? I keep reflecting on this holiday season and how it felt quite a bit different this year. I don’t know if it was that I had few expectations this year because I was pretty low or with Grandma gone it made me really try to be present more… but it ended up being a holiday season I will treasure for a long time.
One big reason? A book I thought lost forever was found. I gave my grandma this book of journal prompts 19 years ago and asked her to fill it out and return it to me. The book takes her through her childhood to present and asks her questions to answer in her own words and handwriting. I hadn’t seen the book in years… over a decade. When grandma passed away in May, I asked about it, but no one knew where it was or what happened to it.
Then, when I was visiting my mom before Christmas she gave me an old Christmas box a few days before Christmas and told me I would understand once I opened it. The box turned out to be the box I used to gift grandma the journal! It was filled with cards and pictures I had given her over the years and the journal along with the pen she used to fill it out. Mom had found it!
To say this was the best Christmas present ever would be an understatement! I cannot tell you how much joy it brought me to have her stories with me in her words and her handwriting. Such a blessing.
I just have been bursting to tell you guys that amazing story, so there ya go… now how about some Crock Pot Sausage Corn Chowder?
Crock Pot Sausage Corn Chowder Notes
- My version of this recipe calls for some bell peppers and garlic. I prefer to keep freeze dried versions of these soup staples (Freeze Dried Bell Peppers and Freeze Dried Garlic) in my pantry. A little water or stock and they plump right up perfect for everyday cooking. I can order them off amazon and have them to toss in soups any time.
- I also use cooking sherry with my chicken broth, but if you would prefer you can just use chicken broth. Just substitute more chicken broth for the sherry. I chose sherry because I love the flavor it adds in chowders.
- If you don’t like using cream of potato soup or creamed corn, this probably isn’t the recipe for you. You might look into our other Crock Pot Corn Chowder instead.
- I made this soup in my favorite non-stick lightweight 6 qt Crock Pot, but you could cook it up in any 6 qt slow cooker.
- 1 lb breakfast sausage, browned
- 2 10.75 oz cans cream of potato soup
- 2 14.75 oz cans cream-style corn
- ½ cup cooking sherry (or chicken broth)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup bell pepper ( I love using freeze dried bell peppers instead 2 Tablespoons)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (I used freeze dried garlic instead- 1 teaspoon)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Brown your breakfast sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat and drain
- Mix together with remaining ingredients
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours
Affiliate links were used in this post.