Make your own homemade refried beans at home! This super simple recipe for Crock Pot Refried Beans is so easy to throw together!
I am really excited to share a great new recipe that I am so excited to have on hand. These super simple Crock Pot Refried Beans are very inexpensive and easy to make.
This weekend I am getting together with a few girlfriends and the meal of the night is going to be a Taco Bar. Ever since my friend Liz saw (my other friend) Sarah’s idea for a Taco Bar she has been talking about us doing one… So, I offered to bring my Crock Pot Spanish Rice , our favorite Crock Pot Sausage Cheese Dip and beans…
Crock Pot Refried Beans
So, when I found a crock pot recipe for homemade refried beans in Gooseberry Patch’s Quick and Easy Christmas cookbook, I was thrilled! I think I am going to put each of the three recipes in my Big Bertha (my party crock pot) this weekend for our fiesta– ole’!
BUT before expecting a new recipe to meet my expectations come show time, I followed my own advice and gave it a test run first! So I popped this recipe (with a little alteration 😉 ) into my little Dot (my 2.5 qt slow cooker) and we had bean burritos for dinner. I could not believe how simple it was! I practically lived on bean burritos as a teenager… This recipe would have been so much more economical because a 16 oz bag of pinto beans makes between 7-8 cups of refried beans for a fraction of the cost of the canned version!
A Few Notes
- Dried pinto beans need to be rinsed, sorted and soaked before they go in the crock pot. This means that you can either rinse them in water and sort out any non-bean stones and such and then soak in water over night in the fridge OR you can do a quick soak method by bringing your beans to a rolling boil for two minutes.
- Regardless of which soaking method you use- after soaking- drain off the liquid and use new water for cooking.
- If you prefer your beans a bit more savory, you can add some bacon drippings.
- I used an immersion blender (one of my VERY favorite kitchen gadgets) to blend my beans until smooth but you could mash them by hand with a potato masher or in a blender. Just be careful because they are very hot straight out of the slow cooker.
Crock Pot Refried Beans
- 16 oz bag dried pinto beans sorted rinsed and soaked
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 4 oz can green chilies undrained
- Drain soaked beans and place into slow cooker ( I used a2.5 qt slow cooker)
- Cover beans with water until water line is 2 inches above beans.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir.
- Cook on high for 7-8 hours
- Once beans are nice and soft, drain liquid into a bowl.
- Ladle out 1/4 cup and add back into beans.
- Use an immersion blender, regular blender or potato masher to mix beans until smooth.
Affiliate links were used in this post.
- Low Carb Ninja Foodi Italian Wedding Soup - October 6, 2020
- Goode Times Weekly Vol. 1, Issue 2 - September 27, 2020
- If you enjoyed our Slow Cooker Stuffed Pepper Soup, Try This Recipe - September 26, 2020