Wondering how to cook ham? This Crock Pot Brown Sugar Holiday Ham recipe is one of our very favorite ways to make a fail-proof holiday ham that will knock their socks off. Both spiral and regular cooked hams come out super flavorful, tender and juicy with this crockpot-baked ham recipe.
How to Cook Ham
Slow cookers are just perfect for those who find themselves wondering how to bake a ham. Crock pots tend to keep moisture in a lot better than ovens, so cooking ham in a crockpot has a lot of advantages, especially for first time ham-bakers or those who are just simply looking for an easy way to bake ham.
Note: We recommend that you use bone-in spiral or traditional hams or whole muscle boneless hams in the slow cooker. Reconstituted hams do not typically do well in the slow cooker for long periods of time.
UPDATED: We have updated this post with a video tutorial on how to cook our favorite crock pot ham recipe.
Crock Pot Ham Recipes
I found this recipe in Gooseberry Patch’s new Hometown Christmas. This recipe is by far the easiest most flavorful ham I have ever personally made. It was incredibly tender and juicy and it literally took 5 minutes to throw in the crock pot! (Note: If you don’t have these ingredients on hand, you can also try our Easy Crock Pot Ham.
Now most of the time I prefer a basic bone-in cooked ham versus a spiral ham. I think it is nostalgia more than anything. However, I have used this recipe multiple times for both types and I have to say this last spiral ham we made in the crock pot was so incredible it might just begin to change my mind on the whole matter! Regardless of what type of ham you choose, there isn’t an easier way out there to cook it than in your slow cooker!
Cooking Ham in a Crock Pot
- 7 lb Cooked Bone-In Cooked Ham or Spiral Cooked Ham
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Cups Pineapple Juice
- 1/2 Cup Maple Syrup
- Place ham in a large slow cooker flat side down.
- Rub brown sugar over all sides of the ham.
- Drizzle with juice and syrup.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- If you are looking for more ham recipes, you can find a full listing of all our holiday ham recipes here.
- You will need to pick out your ham to fit inside your slow cooker or cut it down to fit. We typically try to find a 6-7 lb ham that is the right shape for the 6-8 quart slow cooker we are wanting to use. If your ham is just a little too big to get the lid on tight you can wrap aluminum foil around the outside of the lid to keep the heat in.
- We use a fully cooked ham in this recipe. Check your ham's packaging to see if there are any specific temperatures your ham needs to cook to per the brand's suggestion. If a specific temperature is necessary, we love using this meat thermometer while we crock pot cook. We love that you can leave the probe inside the slow cooker and it will ring an alarm when the ham reaches the correct temperature.
- Looking for more recipes? Our Recipe Finder can help you find exactly what you need.
- Check out all our favorite recommendations for cookbooks, slow cookers and low carb essentials in our Amazon Influencer Shop.
- As with any of our recipes, carb counts, calorie counts and nutritional information varies greatly. As a result, your nutritional content depends on which products you choose to use when cooking this dish. The auto-calculation is just an automated estimate and should NOT be used for specific dietary needs.
- Finally, all slow cookers cook differently, so cooking times are always a basic guideline. Recipes should always be tested first in your own slow cooker and time adjusted as needed.
Slow Cooker Recommendations
When purchasing your ham, keep your crock size in mind. It is important to consider both ham shape and size. Picking a ham based purely on weight can lead you to an odd shaped cut that won’t fit your crock pot. You will want to make sure your ham can fit entirely inside of your slow cooker with the lid completely closed. Many models of slow cookers these days come in 6-7 qts offering ample room for a nice-sized ham. This 7 lb ham fit nicely in my 6 qt slow cooker.
Affiliate links were used in this post.
- Low Carb Ninja Foodi Italian Wedding Soup - October 6, 2020
- Goode Times Weekly Vol. 1, Issue 2 - September 27, 2020
- If you enjoyed our Slow Cooker Stuffed Pepper Soup, Try This Recipe - September 26, 2020