Are you looking for an easy Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole for your next brunch or special occasion? This recipe is simple to throw together and a family and crowd favorite!
I just love a good breakfast casserole, don’t you?! And, if I can throw it in the crock pot, even better! The idea for this particular casserole came from my love for the fresh flavors (and cream cheese 😉 ) in this Zucchini Frittata. But this time I knew I wanted to add some other flavors and make it just a bit more egg-y.
Cookin’ Cris Dishes: Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole
Updated: This recipe was voted a battle winner by our YouTube Community so we cooked up a cooking show episode for it!
Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole
I actually made this for dinner the other night and the hubs kept carrying on about how fantastic it was. It has all those wonderful summer flavors we are craving zucchini (you could use squash too), grape tomatoes, mushrooms and well… cream cheese ;).
You could substitute any of the veggies for onions, peppers or whatever suits you. The egg mixture helps everything hold together and then it is all topped with sausage (I used the sausage crumbles for convenience) and some shredded cheese.
Everything crocked up nicely in my casserole crock pot in about 2-2 1/2 hours on high. However, as always, it is best to test this recipe in your own slow cooker first and just use the times as a basic guideline, not a set rule.
- 1 Small Zucchini, Sliced Thinly
- 8 oz Fresh Mushrooms, Cleaned and Sliced
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 dozen MEDIUM Eggs (or 10 Large Eggs)
- ½ Cup Milk
- Salt and Pepper, To Taste
- 4 Thick Slices of Bread (I used "Texas Toast")- Cubed
- 8 oz Cream Cheese, cubed into small pieces
- ½ pint Grape Tomatoes, washed and halved
- ½ Cup Sausage Crumbles or 1lb ground sausage- browned and drained.
- ½ Cup Shredded Mexican Blend Cheese
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook your zucchini and mushrooms until golden and tender. Set aside.
- Spray crock pot with non-stick cooking spray and place bread and cream cheese cubes evenly on the bottom.
- Top with tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Top with zucchini mixture.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs and milk, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour egg mixture over casserole.
- Top with sausage and cheese.
- Cover with lid and cook on high for 90 min to 2½ hours-- when eggs are set and cheese is melted.
All slow cookers cook differently, so cooking times are always a basic guideline and should always be tested first in your own slow cooker and time adjusted as needed.
Medium Eggs vs. Large Eggs
If you are anything like me, I have always bought Large Eggs. It never occurred to me to even think to purchase anything else. So, when HATCH contacted me, my first question was, how are Medium Eggs different from Large Eggs?
Turns out, they really aren’t that different and… they are cheaper! Now occasionally– especially when baking— you may need to use an extra egg here and there. But for the most part, if you are using them for scrambled eggs or egg sandwiches, etc. you can likely get away with using them just like you would large eggs.
This post was a sponsored post by HATCH. I have been compensated for my time to write this post, however, all opinions are my own.
Linked to Hunk of Meat Monday
Affiliate links were used in this post.