Do you love deep dish pizza? Our Crock Pot Pizza Bake has a fantastic flavorful bubble up crust with deep dish toppings all made in your slow cooker.
UPDATED with a video from Mikey.
I have always loved pizza ever since childhood. When I got really sick as a little girl and had to spend a week in the hospital, a family friend visited and told me when I got out she would throw me any kind of party I wanted and I wanted a PIZZA PARTY.
Likewise, one of my favorite family meals was when dad would make deep dish pizza. Mom cooked every night, but dad cooked on pizza nights.
So when I saw a recipe for “monkey bread” pizza in Crock Pot’s I Can Make That in My Slow Cooker Cookbook I got to thinking about how to adapt it to familiar flavors I love and this Crock Pot Pizza Bake was born.
- I used my favorite non-stick 6 quart slow cooker. I would recommend using any 6 quart slow cooker for this recipe.
- Make sure you use the correct size of biscuit dough so that it will cook through correctly.
- I am working on testing out my family’s deep dish pizza for a future post that does not use biscuit dough.
- If you prefer other pizza toppings, feel free to substitute as needed.
Casserole Crock Testing Update:
- Per reader request, we have now tested this recipe in our casserole crock. The recipe did fine, but it took less time. It was done between 2 to 2 1/2 hours, not 3.
- The casserole crock is great for serving the pizza, however, personally I prefer cooking it in a 6 quart because it seems to cook more evenly and turns out a bit puffier.
Crock Pot Pizza Bake
- 16 oz Tube Biscuits 8 biscuit can- Cut into sixths
- 1 lb Ground Sausage- Browned and drained- Divided
- 1/4 Cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 8 oz Pizza Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Bell Pepper- Chopped
- Optional 4 oz Can Sliced Mushrooms- Drained
- 2 Cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Optional 4 oz Can Sliced Olives- Drained
- Place biscuit pieces in the bottom of a greased 6 quart slow cooker. (We used our favorite non-stick slow cooker)
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of sausage and 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese.
- Spread sauce on top.
- Then top with remaining sausage.
- Next layer peppers and optional mushrooms.
- Finally top with cheese and optional olives.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 hours or until center is done and edges are golden.
- Cool for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing and serving.