Do you love deep dish pizza? Our Crock Pot Pizza Bake has a fantastic flavorful bubble up crust with deep dish toppings all made in your slow cooker.
UPDATED with a video from Mikey.
I have always loved pizza ever since childhood. When I got really sick as a little girl and had to spend a week in the hospital, a family friend visited and told me when I got out she would throw me any kind of party I wanted and I wanted a PIZZA PARTY.
Likewise, one of my favorite family meals was when dad would make deep dish pizza. Mom cooked every night, but dad cooked on pizza nights.
So when I saw a recipe for “monkey bread” pizza in Crock Pot’s I Can Make That in My Slow Cooker Cookbook I got to thinking about how to adapt it to familiar flavors I love and this Crock Pot Pizza Bake was born.
- I used my favorite non-stick 6 quart slow cooker. I would recommend using any 6 quart slow cooker for this recipe.
- Make sure you use the correct size of biscuit dough so that it will cook through correctly.
- I am working on testing out my family’s deep dish pizza for a future post that does not use biscuit dough.
- If you prefer other pizza toppings, feel free to substitute as needed.
Casserole Crock Testing Update:
- Per reader request, we have now tested this recipe in our casserole crock. The recipe did fine, but it took less time. It was done between 2 to 2 1/2 hours, not 3.
- The casserole crock is great for serving the pizza, however, personally I prefer cooking it in a 6 quart because it seems to cook more evenly and turns out a bit puffier.
- 16 oz Tube Biscuits 8 biscuit can- Cut into sixths
- 1 lb Ground Sausage- Browned and drained- Divided
- 1/4 Cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 8 oz Pizza Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Bell Pepper- Chopped
- Optional 4 oz Can Sliced Mushrooms- Drained
- 2 Cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Optional 4 oz Can Sliced Olives- Drained
Place biscuit pieces in the bottom of a greased 6 quart slow cooker. (We used our favorite non-stick slow cooker)
Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of sausage and 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese.
Spread sauce on top.
Then top with remaining sausage.
Next layer peppers and optional mushrooms.
Finally top with cheese and optional olives.
Cover and cook on low for 3 hours or until center is done and edges are golden.
Cool for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing and serving.