This savory crock pot potato soup recipe is the perfect loaded potato soup. We tested a lot of potato soup recipes over the last several monts and THIS one is the one that won by a landslide. Comfort in a bowl.
Cooking Cris’ Dishes Cooking Show : Crock Pot Potato Soup
This Crock Pot Potato Soup was voted Battle Soup Winner by our You Tube Community so Mikey made a video for it.
Hey y’all! GOODe Ole Boy here!
Ever since Aunt Lou shared the ever popular Crock Pot Potato Bacon Soup, we have been on a quest to find more great potato soup recipes. Through trial and error (and we do mean LOTS of error) we have tested numerous recipes and many came up short. Then we found this fantastic loaded potato soup in America’s Test Kitchen’s Slow Cooker Revolution. You might recall we recently found a Crock Pot Tomato Soup recipe that knocked our socks off in their Slow Cooker Revolution Volume 2 (The Easy Prep Edition), so we were hopeful.
We were not disappointed whatsoever. Cook this one in your crock pot and it will fill your whole house with the most wonderful aroma! We shared it with some friends and they were instant lovers of it! The soup itself is very savory and full of flavor. Unlike a lot of cheesy potato soups, the cheese in this recipe did not overpower the rest of the soup, but rather added to the complexity of the flavors.
- 8 slices precooked bacon chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1-1/2 tsp fresh minced thyme or 1/2 tsp dried
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 6 medium russet potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese 8 oz plus extra for serving
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 3 scallions chopped
- In a skillet, cook onion, garlic and thyme in olive oil until onions are softened and lightly browned.
- Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in 1 cup of chicken broth, scraping up any brown bits from skillet, then transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir in remaining broth and potatoes into slow cooker. Cover and cook until potatoes are tender (4-6 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high)
- Using potato masher or mix-n-chop, mash potatoes until mostly smooth
- Stir in cheddar cheese until melted
- Stir in cream and let sit until heated (5 minutes)
- Heat chopped bacon in microwave for 1 minute to crisp
- Season soup with salt and pepper to taste and serve topped with cheese, bacon and scallions
I betcha anything that this soup would go GOODe with this loaded bacon cheddar roll recipe! Say it with me folks, “MMMmmmmm…. BACON!”
Slow Cooker Recommendations
This recipe does great in any 6 qt slow cooker. However, since this soup has a precooking step and because it has a cream and cheese base, we recommend this stove top safe slow cooker that has a great non-stick surface. The crock can go straight from the browning step on the stove into the slow cooker unit without dirtying another dish and the non-stick surface is perfect for cream based cheesiness that tends to stick in other slow cookers.
Affiliate links were used in this post.