Cris here. As I mentioned in our basic Cream Soup Substitute for Recipes post, we sometimes get requests from readers who aren’t a fan of the can to offer alternatives to canned cream soup as an ingredient. Personally, I often enjoy the convenience of the can but sometimes I like to kick the flavor up a notch by making it from scratch. In our Cream Soup Substitute for Recipes post you will find adaptations for all kinds of cream soups: Cream of Chicken, Cream of Celery and even Cream of Shrimp (a key ingredient in our Crab Rangoon Dip). We also mention this homemade substitute cream of mushroom soup.
Homemade Substitute Cream of Mushroom Notes
- I use baby bella mushrooms when making this soup. I love the flavor they bring to the table. You can also use white button mushrooms.
- I like to use garlic when making this recipe but it is not required.
- Using a small saucepan (instead of a large one) will be very helpful when whipping this up.
- Looking for a Gluten Free Option? My friend Leah has you covered with her Easy Gluten Free Cream of Mushroom Soup.
Homemade Substitute Cream of Mushroom
- Measure all ingredients before starting.
- Mix 1/4 cup of your broth with your flour and salt and pepper in a small bowl until smooth and set aside.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add in mushrooms and garlic and cook until mushrooms reduce in size.
- Add remaining 1/4 cup of broth and milk.
- Gradually pour in your flour mixture stirring constantly with a fork until mixture completely blends into mixture.
- Continue stirring constantly until sauce thickens and begins to bubble.
- Remove from heat and add to any recipe as a substitute for one can of cream soup