Are you looking for a Cream Soup Substitute for recipes? This recipe is our base recipe for all the different cream soups you might need in various recipes.
Cris here. Over the years while running this slow cooker recipe site we sometimes get questions about alternatives to canned cream soups. Some folks simply don’t like to use them while others need to avoid them for dietary reasons. Meanwhile, many of you have told us you love the convenience of the canned soups (and we do too). Up until this point we have tried to accommodate everyone by offering a wide range of recipes and offering alternative recipes as much as we can work into the recipe schedule ;).
Today we are going to go one step further and share with our recipe for a Cream Soup Substitute base that you can use in all our recipes if you are not a fan of the can. By using this base, you can make up a batch and add to any recipe that calls for cream soups. One recipe of this base will equal one can of the store bought version. You can flavor the base to match its store bought counterpart by either adding those flavors to the recipe you are making OR following these basic guidelines:
- Cream of Celery: During butter step, sauté 1/4 cup finely chopped celery and 1 Tablespoon finely chopped onion until tender.
- Cream of Chicken: During salt and pepper step add 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning. Optional: If you have cooked chicken on hand, add 1/4 cup finely chopped chicken during butter step.
- Cream of Mushroom: Check out this post for our flavorful alternative version to the traditional canned cream of mushroom.
- Cream of Shrimp: During butter step add 1/4 cup finely chopped cooked shrimp.
- Gluten Free Alternative: Check out my friend Leah’s Easy Gluten Free Cream Soup
- Low Sodium Option: Use additional milk instead of broth or use low sodium broth. Do not add salt.
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 3 1/2 Tablespoons Flour
- 1/2 Cup Broth - divided Chicken or Beef
- Salt and Pepper- to taste
- 1/2 Cup 2% or Whole Milk
- Measure all ingredients before starting.
- Mix 1/4 cup of your broth with your flour and salt and pepper in a small bowl until smooth and set aside.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add remaining 1/4 cup of broth and milk.
- Gradually pour in your flour mixture stirring constantly with a fork until mixture completely blends into mixture.
- Continue stirring constantly until sauce thickens and begins to bubble.
- Remove from heat and add to any recipe as a substitute for one can of cream soup