These aren’t your mama’s sloppy joes! Crock Pot Taco Joes are delicious taco inspired sandwiches that feed a crowd. Serve up at a party with the fixin’s of a taco bar.
Hey y’all! GOODe Ole Boy here!
Have you ever eaten a sloppy joe and thought, “Golly, this would taste good with enchilada sauce, taco seasoning and refried beans.”?
Yeah, me neither. Then we came upon this recipe called Taco Joes in Gooseberry Patch’s Everyday Slow Cooker and the thought crossed my mind. And now I’m here to taco bout it! (See what I did there?)
This recipe took 10 minutes to prep before tossing it in our slow cooker and it came out FANTASTIC! It reminded us a lot of Cris’ burritos that she likes to make for the fam, and boy does the fam like to eat them. This would make for a great party recipe, as it serves 25. It is also an easy recipe to freeze up to save for later just in case you don’t have a family of 25 to feed all at once…
- 3 lbs ground beef browned & drained
- 32 oz refried beans (2 - 16 oz cans)
- 10 oz can enchilada sauce
- 1 1/2 pkg taco seasoning
- 16 oz jar salsa
- 25 hot dog buns split
- Garnish: shredded Cheddar cheese shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sour cream
- Pour ground beef in slow cooker, then add 1 can of refried beans, enchilada sauce, taco seasoning and salsa. Cool on low for 4-6 hours depending on your slow cooker. After cooked, stir in the other can of refried beans.
- To serve, fill each bun with 1/3 cup of Taco Joe mixture and garnish as desired.
The only change we made in this recipe was at the end. After the Taco Joe mix had finished cooking in the slow cooker, Cris added another 16 ounce can of refried beans to thicken it up a bit. Cris and Miss Add ate theirs as sandwiches in hot dog buns with cheese, lettuce and tomato. I put mine over hot dogs with a lil bit of mustard and a side of corn chips and I was in heaven! I’m thinking this would be a perfect recipe for a Super Bowl party!
Slow Cooker Recommendations
This recipe makes A LOT of food, so you are probably going to want to use at least a 6 qt slow cooker. We like our stove top safe slow cooker for recipes that require a browning step. It saves me washing a skillet and anything that reduces my need to do dishes is a big win around here!
Affiliate links were used in this post.