Are you looking for great all day crock pot recipes? Our All Day Crock Pot Chicken Leg Dinner is the perfect fix it and forget it recipe!
Note: We use referral links to products we love.
Cris here. I have to confess, I need more all day crock pot recipes in my life, don’t you?!? A while back I did this awesome round up of all day slow cooker recipes and it got me thinking that I really should try and develop some more because readers tell me all the time that they could use more. And, so, this All Day Crock Pot Chicken Leg Dinner was born!
Why most crock pot recipes AREN’T all day recipes anymore?
Have you ever wondered why most slow cooker recipes these days don’t cook all day like they used to? The answer as best I can tell is 2 fold… First, modern slow cookers cook hotter than their vintage counterparts and that causes food to cook faster. Secondly, most slow cookers today are a lot larger than those our mothers and grandmothers used to use. So, larger cooking vessels (if not filled up) AND higher heat oftentimes produces overcooked food if the recipe cooks all day.
Tips for longer cooking times in slow cookers
- Always fill your cooking vessel at least half way full. Two-thirds full is optimal.
- Use a heat proof bowl inside your larger slow cooker to lengthen cooking times. We use the largest bowl in this set all the time. We discuss this technique at the end (29:35) of this week’s weekly chat.
All Day Crock Pot Chicken Leg Dinner Notes
- This recipe fills up my 6 quart 5 in 1 Multi Cooker and that is part of the reason this recipe can cook all day without over cooking the food.
- If you want crisp skin on your chicken legs, place them on a lined cookie sheet after cooking and broil on each side for a minute or two. Make sure you watch them closely in the broiler so you don’t burn them.
- After eight hours, my carrots were cooked through and firm. If you don’t mind softer carrots, you could probably cook this dish up to 10 hours.
- You could easily put this dish together the night before you want to cook it and refrigerate it.
- 12 Chicken Legs
- Steak Seasoning - To Taste
- 1 lb baby potatoes
- 8 carrots- peeled and cut into pieces
- 6 ribs celery- cut into pieces
- 2 onions- cut into pieces
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1/2 Cup Cooking Sherry or additional broth
- Fresh Rosemary Sprigs
- Salt and Pepper
Place veggies in the bottom of your 6 quart slow cooker.
Pour broth and sherry over veggies.
Season with salt and pepper.
Season chicken legs well with steak seasoning and place on top of veggies.
Top with rosemary sprigs
Cook on low for 8-10 hours