Have you ever seen the automatic stirrer crock pot feature and wondered if it is worth it? We have tested it out for months and have some insight for you.
Mikey (the hubs) always tells people that my crock pot collection is like Iron Man’s workshop– I have slow cookers of all shapes and sizes and features. We have tried crock pots that stir themselves, brown meat ahead of time, have oven friendly crocks, promise not to burn food, cook on your stove top and more!
Given that we run a site about slow cooking (and my obsession with new features) — when I see a new feature on a crock pot, I have to try it. So, naturally when I saw that there were crock pots out there that could automatically stir themselves, I was sooo going to try that and try it I did! I have stirred up everything from our popular Crock Pot Taco Soup to the most ah-mazing hot chocolate ever.
Automatic Stirrer Crock Pot Feature: Is it Worth It?
Do I like the feature?
- I love being able to set my soups up with this slow cooker and let it go on auto-pilot.
- I love that it comes with two different paddles– depending on what you need to stir.
- I love that you can remove the stirring unit completely if you don’t want it to stir.
- I love that you can stir anytime without removing the lid by the push of a button– and that it automatically stirs every 2 hours.
- I love that the plug lets you plug the stirring unit into the same plug so you only use one place on your outlet.
- I love that it is a programmable slow cooker. (NOTE: Depending on model, some are completely programmable, while others just let you choose heat setting with fixed time)
Is there anything I didn’t like?
- I’m not in love with how the stirring lid fits on the top of the unit. My unit may have had a defective lid but the clips pop off all the time. This does not affect the ability to stir at all– nor does it affect any cooking performance, mainly it just bugs me. If there are clips, they should stay closed when they have been closed.
- The stirring action does not scrape the sides. This isn’t a real huge issue, but I think it is something folks need to know before purchasing. It is great at stirring up flavors in most any recipe, but it will not be a solution for stubborn recipes that tend to burn on the sides if not tended to on a regular basis.
- I don’t like that the time and heat settings are not independently programmable on some of the models. (This one IS independently programmable, if that is important to you.)
So, is it worth purchasing a new slow cooker?
- I would recommend the automatic stirrer crock pot feature to folks who need a new slow cooker and enjoy cooking a lot of soups or serving hot beverages for a crowd. If soups are your thing, this slow cooker was designed for you.
- I do feel this slow cooker really enhances flavor combinations while slow cooking. So if you have a recipe that you’d love to be able to stir more throughout the day, THIS is the slow cooker for you.
- Because this slow cooker also lets you remove stirring unit, it is a good option as a general programmable slow cooker as well.
- I am not sure I would make this my primary slow cooker (because I have so many favorites), however, as a part of a collection it is definitely a nice option to have on the shelf.
Enter to Win
Would you like to win an Automatic Stirring Crock Pot and Gooseberry Patch’s Super Fast Slow Cooking Cookbook?
If you win, Super Fast Slow Cooking will keep your new crock pot cRockin’ all day long!
TO ENTER: Just comment below and tell me what soup you would like to try in the crock pot should you win it?
BONUS ENTRY: Share this post with a friend or on social media and comment below that you shared it.
Daily entries (and bonus entries) are allowed and all entries are on the honor system.
Color and model is not guaranteed. Contest ends at midnight on 9/20/2015. Winner will be notified by email and will have 48 hours to respond. Winning crock pot and book will be shipped to continental U. S. addresses only. Must be 18 to enter. GOODe Luck!
- Air Fryer Old Bay Chicken Legs (Ninja Foodi) - January 20, 2021
- Low Carb Crock Pot Pecan Sandie Bars - January 18, 2021
- Grilled Sausage, Peppers and Onions (Ninja Foodi Grill) - January 14, 2021