Do you like roasting a whole chicken in your slow cooker but you wish the skin would crisp up like those grocery store rotisserie chicken? This Crispy Slow Cooker Chicken is for you!
I just love a whole roasted “rotisserie” chicken from a crock pot. But the one complaint I get from folks who try this recipe is from chicken skin lovers… trouble makers 😉
Slow cookers are fantastic for cooking up a flavorful bird. But slow cookers kind of stink at letting moisture out or the pot. We don’t eat the skin, so it has never been an issue for us.
Crispy Slow Cooker Chicken
But this time around is for you chicken skin lovers.
I prepared my bird the same way and cooked it like always.
But at the end of the cooking time, I drained most of the liquid from the pot (and kept it– that makes killer chicken stock!). And then I popped my bird under my broiler for 5 minutes.
All of this was made incredibly easy by the slow cooker Hamilton Beach sent me with an all metal pot as the insert. I just cooked my chicken in the pot, poured out the excess liquid and then popped the metal pot and chicken all under the broiler. If you don’t have a slow cooker insert that can go in the oven, you can always gently move your bird over to an oven safe pan and broil away.
Beautifully crisp skin.
And oh-so flavorful!
A Note About Timing the Bird
Depending on the size of your bird and how your slow cooker cooks, you will want to adjust your time. I have had smaller birds take 6 hours while larger ones take 8 hours. I like my chicken very tender but not completely falling apart. If you overcook it, it will completely fall apart . It will still have a great flavor, but it will not be as good as it is cooked just right.
Crispy Slow Cooker Chicken
- 1 Whole Chicken
- Lawry's Seasoned Salt- To Taste
- Spray the chicken lightly with oil.
- Place the chicken breast side down into the 6-quart slow cooker
- Sprinkle liberally with the seasoned salt.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours
- Carefully remove chicken from pot and place in an oven safe pan.
- Broil for 5 minutes until skin is nice a crispy.
- Looking for more recipes? Our Recipe Finder can help you find exactly what you need.
- Check out all our favorite recommendations for cookbooks, slow cookers and low carb essentials in our Amazon Influencer Shop.
- As with any of our recipes, carb counts, calorie counts and nutritional information varies greatly. As a result, your nutritional content depends on which products you choose to use when cooking this dish. The auto-calculation is just an automated estimate and should NOT be used for specific dietary needs.
- Finally, all slow cookers cook differently, so cooking times are always a basic guideline. Recipes should always be tested first in your own slow cooker and time adjusted as needed.
Easy Meal Idea
Affiliate links were used in this post.
Her site Recipes That Crock is dedicated to helping everyone find delicious recipes to serve their families every month.