I am so tickled to bring you another fabulous recipe from my friend Mary’s new cookbook Deep South Dish: Homestyle Southern Recipes (thanks for sending me a copy Mary!) You might recall that ah-mazing Pork Roast and Veggies I shared last week was from her cookbook too! (Psst… stay tuned on Friday… I might just be giving away a copy of this fantastic book 😉 ).
Crock Pot Cajun Chicken
We have made crock pot “rotisserie” chicken for years– many different ways. We have made it with just a bit of rosemary, we’ve made with with lemon, we’ve made it with Chinese 5-Spice… we’ve even made it with crispy skin! However, in all that time, it never occurred to me to add in some Cajun spices! So when we saw the chicken rub in Mary’s Slow Cooker Rotisserie-Style Chicken in Deep South Dish: Homestyle Southern Recipes, we knew we had to give it a try! We were definitely not disappointed and you won’t be either!
- 2 Tbsp Light Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp Cajun Seasonings
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Herbes de Provence or Poultry Seasoning
- 4 lb to 5 Whole Chicken
- 12 Small Red Potatoes
- 1/2 Cup Water
- Combine all of the herbs and seasonings to form a rub.
- Remove neck and giblets from chicken if necessary and save for another use.
- Rub chicken on all sides with seasonings and set aside.
- Rinse and scrub potatoes. Place in the bottom of slow cooker and add the water.
- Place chicken on top and cook on low for 6-7 hours.
Slow Cooker Recommendations
Any 6 qt slow cooker will work great with this dish. I liked using my slow cooker that has a built in meat thermometer so I could set it to 175 and the slow cooker kicked off (over to warm) once the chicken was done.
Affiliate links were used in this post.