Are you looking for a super easy family dinner idea? This Crock Pot Cajun Chicken is a great twist on your traditional whole chicken recipe.Cris here.
I am so tickled to bring you another fabulous recipe from my friend Mary’s new cookbook Deep South Dish: Homestyle Southern Recipes (thanks for sending me a copy Mary!) You might recall that ah-mazing Pork Roast and Veggies I shared last week was from her cookbook too! (Psst… stay tuned on Friday… I might just be giving away a copy of this fantastic book 😉 ).
Crock Pot Cajun Chicken
We have made crock pot “rotisserie” chicken for years– many different ways. We have made it with just a bit of rosemary, we’ve made with with lemon, we’ve made it with Chinese 5-Spice… we’ve even made it with crispy skin! However, in all that time, it never occurred to me to add in some Cajun spices! So when we saw the chicken rub in Mary’s Slow Cooker Rotisserie-Style Chicken in Deep South Dish: Homestyle Southern Recipes, we knew we had to give it a try! We were definitely not disappointed and you won’t be either!
Crock Pot Cajun Chicken
- 2 Tablespoon Light Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Cajun Seasonings
- 2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence or Poultry Seasoning
- 4 lb Whole Chicken
- 12 Small Red Potatoes
- 1/2 Cup Water
- Combine all of the herbs and seasonings to form a rub.
- Remove neck and giblets from chicken if necessary and save for another use.
- Rub chicken on all sides with seasonings and set aside.
- Rinse and scrub potatoes. Place in the bottom of slow cooker and add the water.
- Place chicken on top and cook on low for 6-7 hours.
Slow Cooker Recommendations
Any 6 qt slow cooker will work great with this dish. I liked using my slow cooker that has a built in meat thermometer so I could set it to 175 and the slow cooker kicked off (over to warm) once the chicken was done.
Affiliate links were used in this post.
- Newsletter Recipe Collection #16 - April 4, 2023
- Newsletter Recipe Collection #8 - March 20, 2023
- Newsletter Recipe Collection #4 - March 13, 2023
We are SO glad to have you in our slow cooking family!
Just fill out the form below and look for a confirmation email in your inbox! Our newsletter is always FREE and we are always serving up some yummy recipes!
This turned out excellent and it was quite tasty.
BETTY WILSON says
the best crock pot beef stew with a sweet onion AND corn bread reminds me of rainy day’s at home with mom.
I tried this rub on a beer can chicken as well and it was great. Terrific for those that don’t like my super spicy chicken.
LOVE that idea!
Mary | Deep South Dish says
You’re welcome & I’m so glad y’all enjoyed the chicken. Thanks so much again for the review and for hosting a giveaway too – I really appreciate you!
My pleasure Mary!