Did you know you can make a cheese sauce from scratch without it being a hassle? This recipe for Crock Pot Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes from Gooseberry Patch’s Busy-Day Slow Cooking will show you how!
Affiliate links were used in this post.
Aunt Lou here.
I can remember when I first started cooking. I was so scared to try anything. Basically, if it wasn’t in a box with 99% of the ingredients included and very basic instructions, then I wasn’t terrified to try it. A recipe like this would have sent me running. Then I started trying out cooking a little at a time. Each time I tried a harder recipe and succeeded, my confidence would grow.
Now, after I have a tidbit of cooking under my belt, I realize that I didn’t have to be afraid! I now know that I don’t have to be scared! I have even grown to enjoy straying from a recipe and figuring it out on my own!
Crock Pot Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes Notes:
- The original recipe called for shredded swiss cheese, but I had cheddar on hand, so that is what I used. It turned out wonderfully!
- I used Cassie, my 9×13 casserole crock pot for this recipe. If you don’t have your own Cassie yet, I would use a 5 or 6-quart crock pot so the potatoes can spread out like they do in my dear Cassie.
- If you are new to cooking, don’t be scared of this recipe because there is a “made from scratch” sauce. You can do it!
Crock Pot Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- 6 cups potatoes peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup onion finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons butter divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup traditional bread crumbs
- Put 3 tablespoons of your butter in a saucepan and melt over medium-low heat
- Add your flour, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and pepper and stir well
- Pour in your milk, stir and cook on medium until it comes to a boil
- While your milk is heating, combine your potatoes and onion (don't forget to stir your milk mixture occasionally)
- Once it reaches a boil, reduce your heat back to medium-low
- Cook your milk mixture, while stirring it frequently, until it thickens and is bubbly
- Add your Cheddar cheese and stir until the cheese is melted
- Pour your cheese mixture over your potatoes and give them a good stir
- Cover and cook on low for 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 hours or on high for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours, it is done when your potatoes are tender
- Melt your remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and combine with your Italian bread crumbs and sprinkle evenly over your potatoes
- Cook uncovered for an additional 30 minutes
- Air Fryer Brown Sugar Bacon Chicken (Ninja Foodi) - March 29, 2023
- Ninja Foodi Dehydrated Apples - March 27, 2023
- Crock Pot Savory Sweet Chicken - March 16, 2023
We are SO glad to have you in our slow cooking family!
Just fill out the form below and look for a confirmation email in your inbox! Our newsletter is always FREE and we are always serving up some yummy recipes!
Julie Wetzel says
Made this today in my Cassie. LOVE the casserole
crock!!! The dish was creamy and yummy.
I ate a bunch. I didn’t even eat the meat I served with it. The potatoes were that good!!
Love your recipes and your hubby’s great videos.
He’s a keeper.