Brace yourself. This dessert is fantastic. We converted the oven recipe for Grandma’s Chocolate Cobbler from the new 101 Blue Ribbon Dessert Recipes by Gooseberry Patch (Thanks for sending me a copy GP!) to a slow cooker recipe, and we were so happy with it!
I made it along with two other desserts in my 3-Pot Buffet Slow Cooker for a get-together the other night, and when I got home the hubby looked at the crocks and said “Man you can tell which one everyone loved! This crock is scraped clean!” That dessert? THIS Crock Pot Chocolate Cobbler. We served it up with whipped cream and fresh fruit and it was a huge hit.
Now if you are a traditional Chocolate Cobbler fan, I should note that this comes out of the slow cooker more like an ooey-gooey batter-like pudding with a bit of a crust on top– similar to a lava cake. But believe me… it is just as popular as the traditional version 😉
Slow Cooker Recommendations
This recipe was perfect for my upcoming get-together with some of my girlfriends. It fit perfectly into one of the 2.5 qt crocks in my 3-Pot Buffet Slow Cooker. I whipped this up in just a few minutes and then let it cook on high for 3-4 hours and it came out perfect! I also put two other recipes from 101 Blue Ribbon Dessert Recipes in the other crocks. I recommend using a 2.5-3 qt slow cooker for this dish. You could “bake” this up in a larger slow cooker, it will just cook MUCH faster, so make sure you watch it closely.
- 3/4 Cup Butter Melted
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 3 Cups Sugar Divided
- 1.5 Cups Self Rising Flour
- 1/2 Cup plus Tablespoon Baking Cocoa Divided
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2.5 Cups Boiling Water
- Pour melted butter into the bottom of a 2.5-3 qt slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, mix together 1.5 cups of the sugar, flour, milk ,2 Tablespoons of the cocoa and vanilla and pour over butter.
- In a small bowl, mix together remaining sugar and cocoa and sprinkle over the batter.
- Pour boiling water over the top and DO NOT MIX.
- Place lid on the crock and cook on high for 3-4 hours
Stay tuned in a few weeks for a giveaway of a copy of 101 Blue Ribbon Dessert Recipes for one lucky reader!
Affiliate links were used in this post.