Crock Pot Red Roast is a great way to switch up your traditional roast night!
Cris here! As you know I have been trying recipes throughout Gooseberry Patch’s new Christmas at Grandma’s and today’s recipe is Crock Pot Red Roast. I was immediately curious about this roast because it involves one of my favorite food groups– ketchup!
Yep, that’s right, ketchup is the base for this yummy roast and it makes a red tinted gravy that is quite yummy over some mashed taters… (Need some mashed potato recipes? We got you covered!
Crock Pot Red Gravy Pot Roast
Now how about we get back to the roast… this roast was made for meatloaf lovers.
That may sound odd, but when it was cooking, that was totally what I was thinking. The tomatoey sauce has a reminder of meatloaf. We are huge meatloaf fans (cue… I would do ANYTHING for love… get it 😉 ), so this was a great roast for us.
A Few Notes:
- If your roast is not tender enough, cook it longer. Roasts do best when they cook until they fall apart easily with a fork. If it isn’t falling apart, cook it longer.
- I cooked this up with my favorite general use 6 qt slow cooker, but you could use any slow cooker that your roast will fit in.
- I have not tried this with other roast cuts, but I am sure it would be great with a good chuck roast.
- 1/4 c plus 1 t all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c water
- 2-4 lb beef rump roast
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 7 oz bottle catsup
- mashed potatoes
- Create a paste with your flour and water
- Spread your paste all over your roast
- Sprinkle your roast generously with salt and pepper and place in your crock pot
- Place your sliced onions all over your roast
- Put your catsup all over
- Add water to your crock pot until it comes halfway up your roast
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours
- Take your roast out and put on a serving platter, let it rest for several minutes and slice
- Serve over mashed potatoes and top with your gravy
Affiliate links were used in this post.