A Dorito Haystack Bar is a delicious spin on a salad bar. Rice, saltines, cheese sauce and ground beef along with all the fixings make for a great meal that everyone can customize to their own taste. They are delicious, filling and easy to make!
Aunt Lou here.
When I told everyone in our small group that I wanted to do a Dorito Haystack Bar for my week of providing the meal, no one had any idea what I was talking about. Most of them googled “haystacks” and thought I was serving dessert. 😉
Once I explained what all was needed for the Dorito Haystack Bar, everyone decided what to pitch in and thought it sounded great.
What is a Dorito Haystack Bar?
So what is a Dorito Haystack Bar? Place all these ingredients in a row: crumbled saltine crackers, rice, ground beef, cheese sauce, lettuce, tomato, Doritos and shredded cheese. Pile it all up in this order and dig in! They are SO yummy!
One comment that was made a couple of times is that the saltines were throwing them off. Believe me, you do not want to leave them out. They add something to the Haystack that is wonderful!
Now I will give you a fair warning…a Dorito Haystack Bar is deceiving. You think you are only putting a small amount of each ingredient on your plate and before you know it, your plate is piled high with way more than you can eat. So, I recommend starting small and going back for a second plate if you don’t fill up on your first one.
So how is this a crock pot recipe you ask? Well, let me tell you! Totally inspired by The Magical Slow Cooker’s Nacho Bar, we used our crock pots for serving our rice, ground beef and cheese sauce (and keeping them warm)! It makes laying out the Dorito Haystack Bar a snap and keeps everything nice and warm!
This is a great recipe for a fun family night or a big get-together. Below is the recipe for a family meal, but you can easily double, triple, quadruple (whatever you need) for large groups.
- 1 sleeve of saltine crackers crumbled
- 1 lb of ground beef cooked and drained
- 3 cups of rice cooked
- 1 15 oz jar of cheese sauce
- 1 bag of shredded lettuce
- 1 to mato diced
- 1 8 oz bag of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 bag of Doritos
- Place crumbled crackers, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, shredded cheese and Doritos in separate bowls
- Place cooked ground beef, cooked rice and cheese sauce in separate crock pots and set on "Keep Warm"
- Line up ingredients in this order: crackers, rice, ground beef, cheese sauce, lettuce, tomatoes, Doritos and shredded cheese
- Place a small amount of each ingredient on your plate
- Mix all the ingredients together and enjoy!
Slow Cooker Recommendations
We love using our 3-Pot Buffet Slow Cooker for serving foods like this at parties. However, you could use any 2-3 qt slow cookers to keep the ingredients warm.
Affiliate links were used in this post.