Have you ever tried German Potato Salad? Well, if you love bacon, potatoes and flavor, you will love this yummy recipe from Gooseberry Patch’s Everyday Slow Cooker!
Aunt Lou here. Confession time. I am not a potato salad or pasta salad person. So when I saw that this recipe was called a potato salad, I almost skipped over it. Then I saw the picture on the next page, and it looked delicious!
German Potato Salad
I am SO glad I gave this recipe a try! It is so yummy! Once you read the ingredient list, you will know why!
Now this isn’t a dump and go recipe, but trust me, it is worth the prep work! It doesn’t take too long if you multi-task. You can start your bacon frying and then peel, cube and put your potatoes on to boil. (Just don’t forget your bacon and burn it!)
Here’s a tip for making chopping onions a cinch! Cut the end of your onion off. Then take your knife and cut a grid pattern down about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way down your onion. Next you take your onion and turn it on it’s side and start slicing! Instant chopped onions! Woohoo!
- 4 c potatoes peeled and cubed
- 6 slices bacon crisply cooked and crumbled and 2 T drippings reserved
- 3/4 c onion chopped
- 10 3/4 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 1/4 c water
- 2 T cider vinegar
- 1/2 t sugar
- pepper and dried parsley to taste
- Garnish: fresh parsley chopped
- Boil your potatoes in a saucepan over medium heat until tender
- Drain and set aside to cool
- Saute your onions in the reserved bacon drippings over medium-high heat until tender
- Mix your soup, water, cider vinegar, sugar and pepper together in a large bowl
- Add in your bacon and onion and combine well
- Pour in your potatoes and parsley and mix it all together
- Place everything in your crock pot
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve warm
Slow Cooker Recommendation
This German Potato Salad is a small side dish, so I used my 3 qt crock pot. It was a perfect fit!
Affiliate links were used in this post.