Have you ever wanted to make your own meatballs? This Homemade Crock Pot Meatballs recipe from Gooseberry Patch’s Mom Knows Best Cookbook is so simple and de-licious!
Aunt Lou here.
I’m a cheapskate through and through. I am always on the lookout for a sale or a cheaper way to do something. So when I saw these Homemade Crock Pot Meatballs, I knew I wanted to try them. I love meatball recipes, but cringe when I see the price on a package of frozen meatballs (yes, I am that cheap!).
I always thought making meatballs would be hard though, so I never even attempted it. Then this recipe came across my path, and I realized it was a cinch!
Homemade Crock Pot Meatballs
We use a lot of ground turkey around here. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love ground beef. It just isn’t always in the budget, so we substitute with ground turkey.
I made this recipe with ground turkey, but I will warn you that it makes forming the meatballs a little harder than it would be with ground beef just because of the consistency of ground turkey. (But they were still delicious!) Next time I make them, it will be with ground beef though.
If you prefer ground turkey, just add an additional 1/4 cup of oats to the mix (for 1 cup oats total) to help make it easier to form your meatballs.
- 3/4 c old fashioned oats
- 3 T onion finely chopped
- 1 c milk
- 1 1/2 t salt
- 1 t pepper
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 c ketchup
- 1/2 c water
- 1/4 c bbq sauce
- 2 T brown sugar packed
- mashed potatoes
- Mix together your oats, onion, milk, salt and pepper in a large bowl and set aside
- In another bowl, mix together your ketchup, water, brown sugar and bbq sauce
- Take your ground beef and crumble it over your oat mixture
- Mix the beef and <g class="gr_ gr_98 gr-alert gr_spell ContextualSpelling" id="98" data-gr-id="98">oat</g> mixture well and form into 1 inch balls
- Place meatballs in your crock pot
- Pour your ketchup mixture over your meatballs
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours
- Serve your meatballs over mashed potatoes
Slow Cooker Recommendation
I used my Hamilton Beach Programmable Insulated Slow Cooker for this recipe. Your favorite 5-6 quart will work too!
Affiliate links were used in this post.