Homemade Crock Pot Stuffing- An easy way to free up your oven and use your slow cooker to make stuffing from scratch. This super easy recipe uses soft bread, no drying out required.
I have a confession to make… I am a stuffing mix girl through and through. I much prefer my holiday stuffing out of a box made with chicken stock or made up this way in a slow cooker. I think it is holiday nostalgia for me. My family always used a mix when I was growing up and I just associate it with the holidays. However, not everyone did and over the years, lots and lots of people have asked me for a Homemade Crock Pot Stuffing Recipe.
So the other day when I saw that Betty Crocker had a stuffing recipe that used “soft bread” instead of a dried out or toasted bread crumb, I thought it would be a great recipe to convert for convenience sake.
Puddie LOVED this recipe. He went on and on about it. Miss Add enjoyed it as well and said that she liked it just about the same as the mix. I, on the other hand, still prefer my mix, but I wouldn’t turn this down if it was offered to me ;).
Crock Pot Homemade Stuffing Notes:
- I used a loaf of French Bread from the grocery store and ripped it into bite sized pieces. A 14 oz loaf made about 9 cups of breadcrumbs. You could also use white bread if you prefer. Betty Crocker estimates it will take about 15 slices to make 9 cups.
- I cooked my onion and celery right inside my slow cooker unit because my Cuisinart Slow Cooker has a browning setting. If yours does not, just do that step in a skillet on a stove near you 😉
- If you like really moist stuffing you may want to add up to 1 cup chicken broth during the chicken broth step.
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 large celery stalks chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped (1/2 cup)
- 9 cups soft bread cubes or 14 oz loaf of french bread torn
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Melt butter in a skillet and cook celery and onion until tender.
- Place bread in your slow cooker and sprinkle with seasonings and salt.
- Pour veggies over top and mix well.
- Drizzle with chicken broth.
- Cook on high for 2 hours.
Affiliate links were used in this post.