Are you looking for quick and easy crock pot recipe for chicken legs? Crock Pot Chicken Drumstick recipes are so flavorful and perfect for that off-the-grill taste!
Chicken Drumstick Recipes
UPDATED: Mikey made a new video of this family favorite recipe!
We make chicken legs in the crock pot a LOT. I love how flavorful and versatile they can be. I have been known to just throw them in with a little Lawry’s Seasoned Salt and call it a day. Sometimes we go a step further to make them Crock Pot BBQ Chicken Legs. We have also been known to make this One Pot Chicken Dinner with chicken drumsticks instead of the boneless thighs in the original recipe.
This recipe from America Test Kitchen’s Slow Cooker Revolution takes things a step further by coating the legs in your own seasoning mixture, adding your sauce, crocking and then doing our signature broiler step (that the test kitchen recommends as well). The broiler step is totally optional BUT it does give the legs and incredible off-the-grill flavor.
Printable Chicken Drumstick Recipe
- 1 T brown sugar
- 1 T sweet paprika
- 1 t dry mustard
- 1 t ground cumin
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 t onion powder
- 1/4 t cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- 4 lbs bone in skin on chicken drumsticks
- 1 1/2 c barbecue sauce
- vegetable oil spray
- Combine your sugar, seasonings and spices.
- Pour seasonings into a gallon sized baggie and place your chicken in the bag a few pieces at a time. Close the bag and shake to coat.
- Place your coated chicken in your slow cooker (it is okay to overlap.)
- Drizzle 1/2 c barbecue sauce over the chicken and toss to coat them evenly.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours, until your chicken is tender.
- Place your oven rack 10 inches from your broiler element and turn on your broiler.
- Cover a cookie sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Arrange chicken on the prepared baking sheet..
- Brush 1/2 c barbecue sauce on chicken and broil 1-5 minutes, until chicken is crisp and slightly charred.
- Turn chicken legs to opposite side and brush with 1/2 c barbecue sauce and broil for additional 1-5 minutes until second side is crisp and slightly charred.
Calories in a Chicken Leg
Can I be honest? Some days, this gal needs more than a chicken breast for dinner. And, knowing that a chicken leg with the skin removed after cooking is only 180 calories makes me happy that I can have my chicken and eat it too! (A chicken leg with skin intact is 260 calories.) So, at least for me, that makes recipes like this a bit guilt free. We can enjoy a flavorful cut of meat without breaking the calorie bank!
Slow Cooker Recommendations
I really prefer the non-stick surface of this slow cooker for recipes like this, however, any 5-6qt slow cooker will work just fine.
Affiliate links were used in this post.