Do you love queso dip? Do you love mac and cheese? This Crock Pot Fiesta Mac and Cheese reminds me of my favorite queso dip… ya know, the kind you always say “Man, I could eat a bowl of this stuff!” Well this is the recipe for you if that is the case!
I got this recipe from Red Gold’s recipe for Spicy Mac and Cheese only I used their mild version of tomatoes and chilies– not the usual hot… mainly because I’m a wimp when it comes to spicy stuff ;).
This recipe made a super creamy decadent mac and cheese. Much like the gourmet mac and cheeses you get in restaurants sometimes.
I could easily see the great addition of some browned sausage or even chopped lobster (at the end of cooking) if you want to get fancy and make a meal of it!
Does this recipe make my slow cooker look big?
If you don’t have a slow cooker this small (most standard slow cookers today are 5 qt and above) have no fear!
Our solution is to grab our favorite heat proof bowl (the large one from this really awesome set) and place the food inside the bowl to cook in a smaller vessel vs. spread out over our 6 qt slow cooker and burn. We just put all the ingredients in the bowl. Place it in the slow cooker and then we add just enough water to the inside of our slow cooker (outside of the bowl with the food) to reach 1/3 to 1/2 way up the outside of our food bowl. This method makes all the difference in the world in a lot of great recipes!
Affiliate links were used in this post.
- 2 cups of pasta of choice, uncooked
- 3 T butter
- 8 oz American processed cheese, cubed
- 8 oz cream cheese, cubed
- 1 t Dijon mustard
- 1 c low fat milk
- ½ c heavy whipping cream
- 12-oz can evaporated milk
- 14-1/2 oz can Petite Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies (OR 2-10 oz Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, drained)
- Spray a 3-1/2 quart crock pot with cooking spray.
- Put your uncooked pasta in the bottom of your crock pot.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients EXCEPT your tomatoes.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Just before serving, add Red Gold tomatoes and stir to combine.