Ooey. Gooey. Chocolatey. Marshmallow-ey. Nutty. Are you looking for a phenomenal dessert? Look no further! This Crock Pot Rocky Road Chocolate Cake from Gooseberry Patch’s Slow-Cooker Christmas Favorites definitely delivers! Yum!
UPDATED with a video from Mikey.
Aunt Lou here.
To be perfectly honest, I have never had “rocky road” anything…not ice cream, not cake. Nada. I wasn’t even really sure what rocky road was, but when I saw this Crock Pot Rocky Road Chocolate Cake recipe, I knew I wanted to find out!
Crock Pot Rocky Road Chocolate Cake
Now don’t be scared off from this recipe because there are a lot of ingredients and what seems like a lot of steps. It is actually easy peasy to make, and the results are SOOOOO worth it!
Truth be told, I usually make my recipes in the evening/late at night. I am a night owl through and through, so this recipe was done at about 1:00 in the morning. I dished it up to take the picture for you guys, took my pictures and dug in. (Yes, I know not the best time of day to indulge in sweets, but I had purposely not eaten any dessert in anticipation of this Crock Pot Rocky Road Chocolate Cake…and it was WELL worth the wait!) It was amazing…delicious…phenomenal…mouth watering…I could seriously go on and on!
- 1 chocolate cake mix
- 3.9 oz pkg instant chocolate pudding mix
- 3 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 c sour cream
- 1/3 c butter melted
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 3 1/4 c milk divided
- 3.4 oz pkg cook and serve chocolate pudding mix
- 2 c mini marshmallows
- 3/4 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 c chopped pecans
- vanilla ice cream
- Put your dry cake mix, dry instant pudding mix, eggs, sour cream, melted butter, vanilla and 1 1/4 cups of milk in a large mixing bowl
- Mix with an electric mixer for approximately two <g class="gr_ gr_106 gr-alert gr_spell ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" id="106" data-gr-id="106">mintues</g>
- Lightly spray your crock pot with cooking spray
- Pour your batter into your crock pot
- Sprinkle cook and serve dry pudding mix on top of your batter - do not stir
- Pour the remaining 2 cups of milk into a saucepan and heat through over medium heat - do not boil, stirring frequently
- Gently pour hot milk over pudding mix - do not stir
- Cover and cook on low for 2 - 2 1/2 hours
- Turn off your crock pot and take the lid off - your cake will set up as it stands
- Sprinkle your marshmallows, chocolate chips and pecans on top of your cake and let it stand for approximately 15 minutes - until the marshmallows start to melt
- Serve with vanilla ice cream
Slow Cooker Recommendation
As with all recipes I want cleanup to be a snap with, I used my Hamilton Beach Programmable Insulated Slow Cooker. The original recipe called for a 4 quart slow cooker (and a longer cooked time of 3 1/2 hours), but I don’t own a 4 quart. So I used my 6 quart and adjusted the cooking time. So either one will work, just make sure you use the correct cooking time.
Affiliate links were used in this post.