The holidays are coming up and that usually means lots of company. Wouldn’t it be wonderful to have a hot, yummy breakfast waiting for everyone when they wake up? Well, this Crock Pot Steel Cut Oatmeal is the answer to your prayers. And better yet, it is Apple Cinnamon flavored! Yum!
Updated now with a video from Mikey!
Aunt Lou here.
To be honest, I had never had steel cut oatmeal before Cris introduced me to this yummy deliciousness. And, well, as long as we are being completely honest, I didn’t even know steel cut oatmeal even existed until I heard it mentioned in a Gilmore Girls episode. (A girl can learn a lot from all the information packed into those quirky conversations!)
We grew up on Old Fashion Quaker Oats with a little bit of butter and sugar. It was yummy and is actually one of my comfort foods. After having Ryder, I was sure that I was completely over my head when we got home and possibly a bit panicked. Thankfully, Momma stayed with me a few days, and she made me the oatmeal of my childhood. It always made me feel a little better.
Then we go visit Cris and she blows me away with this flavorful creation. I am a texture girl, so I was a bit leary. But these definitely passed the test! Plus, it is so easy to make and was waiting for us when we woke up on Saturday morning! Awesome!
Are you a little leery of making oats in your slow cooker because it runs a little hot? Never fear! You can make your crock into a double broiler easy peasy! So you can make those steel cut oats in your crock pot without a care in the world! (And by the way, I was there for the really bad breakfast casserole Cris mentions here. I love my sister. And she is one flat out good cook, but mercy…that was not a fun experience! THIS recipe though, is fabulous!)
All you have to do is put a glass bowl inside your crock pot and add water around the bowl until it is halfway up the side of the bowl (it is super important to make sure it goes halfway up the side of the bowl…you don’t want water boiling over into your delicious oatmeal).
You also want to make sure you use Steel Cut Oats…NOT Old Fashion Oats. There is a big ol’ difference when it comes to cooking times. Steel cut oats are made for an overnight stay in the crock pot, old fashion oats are not.
We are usually the company and don’t have many people come stay with us…but I do believe I will have to make this sometime very soon. It is just perfect for a morning where there is a bit of a chill in the air.
Have I kept in you in suspense long enough? Here’s the recipe!
Crock Pot Steel Cut Oatmeal: Apple Cinnamon
- 2 Apples Cored & Chopped (Peel if you like, I leave the skins on mine)
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons Brown Sugar I use Brown Sugar Splenda Blend
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 tablespoons Light Butter cut into pieces
- 1 Cup Steel Cut Oats
- 1 1/2 Cups Skim Milk
- 1 1/2 Cups Water note this is an ingredient for the inside of the bowl, additional water will be needed for double boiler
- Nuts or Raisins Garnish
- Place glass bowl inside your 6-quart crock pot and add water outside of the bowl until it reaches halfway up the bowl.
- Add all ingredients inside the bowl except garnish and stir.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Stir well and serve with garnish.
- If you are looking for the bowls we used for this recipe, you can find them here.
- For this recipe, we used a 6-quart crock pot.
- Looking for more recipes? Our Recipe Finder can help you find exactly what you need.
- Check out all our favorite recommendations for cookbooks, slow cookers and low carb essentials in our Amazon Influencer Shop.
- As with any of our recipes, carb counts, calorie counts and nutritional information varies greatly. As a result, your nutritional content depends on which products you choose to use when cooking this dish. The auto-calculation is just an automated estimate and should NOT be used for specific dietary needs.
- Finally, all slow cookers cook differently, so cooking times are always a basic guideline. Recipes should always be tested first in your own slow cooker and time adjusted as needed.
- Creamy Ranch Crock Pot Pork Chops - May 29, 2023
- Ninja Foodi BBQ Chicken Tenders - May 29, 2023
- Budget Meal Plan: Week 33 - May 29, 2023
We are SO glad to have you in our slow cooking family!
Just fill out the form below and look for a confirmation email in your inbox! Our newsletter is always FREE and we are always serving up some yummy recipes!
Kim Vanderhyden says
Excellent and flavorful recipe. It actually made four servings and easy clean up.
Can almond milk be used in place of skim milk?
Aunt Lou says
I have never tried it with almond milk. If you do, let me know how it goes! Enjoy!
I found you on Pinterest last night. Thank you for sharing your method! I used my Pyrex 8cup measuring bowl because I didn’t have anything oblong to fit in my croclpot. I had used to liners in the past (after a disaster) but I didn’t love the idea of plastic heating all night. It isn’t even burned to the inside of the pyrex! Thanks again!!
Aunt Lou says
So glad it worked well for you!
Rhonda Lambert says
ya know now I am just going duh because I love this stuff but always hate how it gets too done and is hard around the outer edges. Thanks for the double boiler tip. That will take care of the problem 🙂
Aunt Lou says
It is a handy tip to have around! Enjoy!
Do not make my mistake and buy steel cut QUICK oats! It will not turn out.