Chocolate lovers rejoice! This Crock Pot Chocolate Lava Cake from Gooseberry Patch’s Slow Cooking All Year ‘Round is the dessert you have been waiting for! Chocolate Sauce on top of chocolate cake with a scoop of ice cream. Need I say more?!
Aunt Lou here.
Yum. Oh.My. Yum.
Words fail me. It is just that delicious.
Updated now with a video from Mikey.
Cookin’ Cris’ Dishes: Slow Cooker Chocolate Lava Cake Cooking Show
I have never been an oober chocolate lover. While I was pregnant with Ryder, I had some cravings for it…nothing major, but I did want it more than normal. Welp, this Crock Pot Chocolate Lava Cake has converted me to a chocolate lover.
When I put it together, I was sure I was doing it wrong. When I looked at the end product in the crock pot, I knew I had done something wrong. Then I cut into it and pulled a piece out. I literally gasped “Oh my!” when I saw the ooey gooey chocolate sauce on the bottom and then the recipe made perfect sense.
There are quite a few ingredients on this one, but don’t let it scare you away. It is only because you are making a cake from scratch, but it is seriously easy.
Crock Pot Chocolate Lava Cake Recipe
Coat your slow cooker lightly with cooking spray.
Mix together your flour, sugar, 2 tablespoons of your baking cocoa, your baking powder and your salt.
Add in your milk, oil and vanilla and stir it all together. This batter will be very very thick.
Now you will fold in your chopped nuts. I used pecans (because that is what I had on hand) and they worked really well.
Put your batter in your crock pot. This batter is too thick to pour in, so just plop it in there and spread it out evenly in a 2-3 quart crock pot.
Now you are going to mix together your brown sugar and the rest of your cocoa in a bowl.
Add your water to the brown sugar and cocoa. This mixture will be really runny. Don’t worry…it does something amazing in the crock pot!
Pour evenly over you batter (don’t stir it in).
Cover and cook on high for 1 1/2 – 2 hours. Mine was completely done by 1 1/2 hours. Be sure and do a tooth pick test when you start smelling all that chocolaty goodness.
When your toothpick comes out clean, turn off your crock pot and take off the lid. Let the cake stand for 30-40 minutes.
It will look like it is just a cake and you would wonder where in the world all that supposed lava was…so I will let you in on the secret. It is on the bottom and wonderful! Once you have dished up a piece of cake, spoon some of the chocolate lava over top. Delicious!
We ate our Crock Pot Chocolate Lava Cake with ice cream tonight, and I am almost giddy to try it with ice cream and marshmallow cream tomorrow! I consider it great self control that I didn’t go buy some tonight and have another piece!
Crock Pot Chocolate Lava Cake Notes:
- For this recipe I recommend using a 2-3 quart crock pot, like my 2.5-quart crock pot.
- As with any of our recipes, calorie counts and nutritional information varies greatly depending on which products you choose to use when cooking this dish.
- All slow cookers cook differently, so cooking times are always a basic guideline and should always be tested first in your own slow cooker and time adjusted as needed.
Quick Cooking Video: Crock Pot Chocolate Lava Cake
And, here is a quick version of the recipe video.
Note: If this video does not load properly, click the “Watch Video Here” to watch on YouTube below.
- 1 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 c sugar
- 6 T baking cocoa divided
- 2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 c milk
- 2 T oil
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1/4 c chopped nuts
- 3/4 c packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 c hot water
- Spray crock pot with cooking spray
- Combine flour, sugar, 2 T cocoa, baking powder and salt
- Add milk, oil and vanilla and stir
- Fold in nuts
- Place batter in crock pot and spread evenly
- Combine brown sugar and 4 T cocoa in separate bowl
- Stir in hot water
- Pour mixture evenly over batter (do NOT stir)
- Cover and cook on high for 1 1/2 - 2 hours, until cake passes toothpick test
- Turn off crock pot and remove lid
- Let cake stand for 30-40 minutes
- Serve cake and spoon chocolate lava from bottom of crock pot over cake