Do you want a breakfast casserole that will wow your family or guests? Then you want to throw this Crock Pot Cheesy Bacon Casserole from Gooseberry Patch’s Slow-Cooker Fall Favorites in your crock pot for sure!
Aunt Lou here.
This recipe caught my attention because it has two of my favorite ingredients in the title…bacon and cheese. Seriously, how can you go wrong with bacon and cheese!
Crock Pot Cheesy Bacon Casserole
Now I had to make a change from the original recipe. I told Michael what I was making. He asked about what was in it. His eyes lit up when I told him all the ingredients. Then he asked how many eggs and how much bacon. When I told him, he immediately decided that the amount of bacon needed to be doubled. And well, in our house, you can never have too much bacon, so it was a hit!
You can also chop up a green pepper and add it in. The original recipe called for it, and I am sure it would add great flavor to the mix, but alas, my small town grocery stores didn’t have one when I went to get the ingredients for this recipe. So, we had to go without this time.
- 1 T oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 32 oz pkg frozen shredded hashbrowns, thawed
- 1 lb bacon crisply cooked and crumbled
- 8 oz pkg shredded Cheddar cheese
- 8 oz pkg shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 doz eggs
- 1 c milk
- 1 T dried parsley
- 1 t dry mustard
- 2 t salt
- 1 t pepper
- Optional: 1 green pepper chopped and additional shredded Cheddar cheese
- Pour your oil in a skillet and heat up over medium heat
- Saute your onions until they are translucent
- Add in your hashbrowns stirring and cooking until golden, remove from heat
- Put half your hashbrown mixture in your greased crock pot
- Sprinkle your cheeses, bacon and green pepper (if using) on top
- Add in the remaining hashbrowns
- In a large bowl, beat your eggs with your milk, parsley, mustard, salt and pepper
- Pour over everything in your crock pot
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours, it is done when it can pass the “clean knife test”
- Serve with extra cheese sprinkled on top
Slow Cooker Recommendation
Since this is a Crock Pot Cheesy Bacon Casserole, you know I had to use my 9 x13 casserole slow cooker made by Crock Pot. If you don’t have one of these bad boys, go ahead and get one. Don’t worry, I’ll wait. 😉 If you want to make this recipe before yours arrives, then I would use a 5-6 quart slow cooker.
Affiliate links were used in this post.