Do you love Bourbon Chicken? Well, then you are just like my dear hubby. So when he said he wanted Bourbon Chicken, I was on a hunt for a recipe and came up with this Crock Pot Bourbon Chicken!
Note: We use referral links to products we love.
UPDATED with a video from Mikey.
Aunt Lou here.
When I say I was on a hunt for a recipe, I mean I was on a HUNT! Of course, I started with my favorite Gooseberry Patch Cookbooks. I didn’t find Bourbon Chicken, but I did find Kentucky Wildcat Chicken in What’s For Dinner?. It looked pretty yummy, but not exactly what I had in mind…although, I do think I will be seeing if I can figure out how to convert it to a crock pot recipe!
Then I looked online and did a little research. It seems there is a little bit of a feud over how this dear chicken recipe got its name. Some say it is because it was created by a chef on Bourbon Street in New Orleans. Others say it has its origins in Kentucky, the state with all the bourbon. Regardless, bourbon isn’t a drink of choice in this family, so I opted to use chicken broth. If this highly offends you or you just have bourbon in the house, feel free to use bourbon instead of chicken broth.
So just where did I find this recipe? I didn’t. I wanted to make it right. then. So I took a little bit of creative license on this one and gave it a try! Now, I know that can be dangerous at times, but this time it was awesome! I couldn’t be happier with how it turned out and the hubs and Ryder agreed!
Crock Pot Bourbon Chicken Printable Recipe (Updated)
Crock Pot Bourbon Chicken
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 c teriyaki sauce
- 1/2 c chicken broth or bourbon
- 2 T honey
- 1 t mustard
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1 t garlic powder
- 2 T dried minced onions
- 1/8 t ground ginger
- 1 T corn starch
- 1 T water
- rice prepared
- Spray your crock pot with cooking spray
- Place your chicken pieces in your crock pot
- Mix together remaining ingredients (except for cornstarch, water and rice) until well blended
- Pour over chicken
- Cover and cook for 2-4 hours on low.
- *Note: If you need a longer cook time, don't cut your chicken until just before serving - Also, if your sauce is not as thick as you would like, please see the note at the bottom of this post.*
- Remove your chicken from your slow cooker and keep warm
- Mix together your cornstarch and water in a coffee cup
- Pour your sauce and cornstarch mixture into a skillet on your stove over medium-high heat and bring to a boil
- Turn your stove down to a simmer, stirring your sauce frequently until your sauce reaches the desired thickness
- Serve your chicken on a bed of rice drizzled with the sauce
Slow Cooker Recommendation
- For this quick and delicious Crock Pot Bourbon Chicken, I used my 3 qt crock pot. It was the perfect size for this smaller portion meal.
- As with any of our recipes, calorie counts and nutritional information varies greatly depending on which products you choose to use when cooking this dish.
- All slow cookers cook differently, so cooking times are always a basic guideline and should always be tested first in your own slow cooker and time adjusted as needed.
*Note: For those of you who read the recipe before it was corrected, I am sincerely sorry that I forgot to put low as the cooking setting! And, of course, it had to be on one of the two days Michael and I actually go out on a date each year, so I didn’t have a way to correct it immediately. For that, I am truly sorry! I hope ya’ll can forgive me!