There is just something about old fashioned recipes that bring a smile to my face and fill my tummy up! These Old Fashioned Crock Pot Baked Beans from Gooseberry Patch’s Busy-Day Slow Cooking do just that!
Aunt Lou here.
I love baked beans, so at any church pitch-in, I bring baked beans. While I usually rely on a can of good ol’ Bush’s Baked Beans (who did not sponsor this post btw, I just love ’em), I was super excited to try and make these Old Fashioned Crock Pot Baked Beans from scratch. Who knew it would be so easy?!
Old Fashioned Crock Pot Baked Beans Notes:
- I actually made this recipe twice. The first time I made them, I was worried because the beans were not covered in water the entire cooking time. So, I added more. Do. Not. Do. This. It really messed them up. Soooo, I made them again without my worry-wart ways. 🙂
- I just got a new toy! So, I decided to try it out on this recipe. “What is this new toy?” you ask…it is non other than a Hamilton Beach Multi-Quart Right Size Slow Cooker! You see, I was needing a new smaller slow cooker, but I wanted a programmable one. They are a little more than I was wanting to spend, however, I found this multi-quart bad boy! Not only was it cheaper, it is made so I can use it as a 2-quart, 4-quart or 6-quart all with on crock! How cool is that?! I used it on the 4-quart setting for these Old Fashioned Crock Pot Baked Beans, and it worked like a dream!
- 2 cups dried Great Northern Beans, rinsed and sorted
- 5 cups water
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓-1/4 cup brown sugar, packed (choose which measurement you want based on your own personal preference)
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ cup molasses
- Put your dried beans in your crock pot
- Pour your water on top
- Add in your finely chopped onion and salt
- Cover and cook on high for 8-10 hours (mine were good at 8 hours)
- Drain your beans reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid
- Put your beans back in your crock pot along with your reserved cooking liquid and remaining ingredients
- Gently stir it all until well combined
- Cover and cook on high for an additional hour
Affiliate links were used in this post.